Experiences of interest today:
* I attended my first class here and the professor is very smart. We held class outside in the forest because one of this university’s principal ideas is to be at one with nature.
* We stuffed 22 people into an 8 passenger van so that we could visit the market.
* I bought a 12 gabera daisy boquet with vase for $4. Score!
* Last but not least, I fell out of said van because I tripped over my flip flop.

This is me at the market with my flowers!
This was our lunch from today - chicken, vegetables, rice and tortillas. The entire campus is using a purified water system, so it is safe to eat all of this delicious produce.Being a person that loves to cook and eat, I thought I would write a little bit about the food here in Guatemala. This university is amazing because its main study course is forestry and seven students grow and harvest all of the vegetables for the entire student body. They have entire greenhouses for tomatoes, chiles, cabbage, potatoes, etc. They grow similar vegetables that we do in Wisconsin because they have a highland climate. Everything is so fresh and organic. They’re constantly engineering new ways to irrigate, genetically modify, and care for plants so that they produce quality produce. I don’t think that I will feel the same when I return to the US and try to buy my broccoli from Pick’nSave!
Chiles!!
Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! A lot of us are starting to feel altitude sickness. Hopefully, we can manage to stay well!
Love,
C


4 comments:
Only you could trip over your flip flop and fall out of a van! :) Oh, wait.....so could Elise! Glad to hear you're having fun. We missed you at the pool today! Be safe! Love, your Aunt Sara
I'm following you via your blogspace....
B-) <-----thats me with spy glasses.
I like the nature bit! Its very...ZEN!!! :) Living simply! Its so eye opening to see that other parts of the world can live on such simple, self sustaining means, and also make a living off of doing simple tasks! It makes me think! Even though these people have less, are they generally happier because their society is less complex?
I'm curious!! LOVE that you're keeping us updated, its all very interesting so far!!
p.s. I'm going to post this anonymous just because I can, even though I know you know who I am! ;)
I like to try those peppers..I wonder if they are hot??
Why don't you try them and let me know:)
Hahaha...if I could bring them past US customs, I would bring you some. As for me, I draw the line at trying the peppers. There's not enough milk in the world that could get me through one of those! :)
Post a Comment