Sunday, May 29, 2011

Initial Impressions

Hello everyone,

I have been in country for about 7 hours now and it's a completely different world. Here's what I have noticed so far:

* Poverty is everywhere - "third world" or underdeveloped is a very accurate term for Guatemala.
* The simplest jobs make viable careers. For example, if you are able to change oil, you can make a living doing only this. Your store or tienda will survive even if you offer only this service.
* Bugs, bugs and more bugs.
* Stray dogs are abound and they howl all night long.
* We have co-ed bathrooms and showers. I may in fact die from this sad reality. EWWW!!
* There are more single engine planes flying than any other type of plane.
* If you've ever driven through Arizona, those mountain roads do not even compare to these. There were not guard rails for the majority of the ride.

It was a long day of traveling and I am certainly ready to get to bed. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Love,
C


No comments: