Monday, November 24, 2008

Life is Beautiful and Happy Thanksgiving!

As usual, my life is Spain is 150%. I have everything I could have ever wanted here and I am dreading the fact that I am down to just under five weeks. This leaves two weekends left in Valladolid because I am traveling the other three weekends.

As for this past week of my life...I had a normal week of classes and teaching and conversation. It´s all really good and I am really improving my Spanish. My ¨meter of understanding¨is whether or not I can understand all of the cuss words and snide remarks. I realized that when you can understand those, you are truly learning the language. : )

Friday was quite possibly one of the best days of my life. I went on a little date with a guy that I had met last Wednesday. We went to a typical college bar and ended up talking for a couple of hours. We talked about college life and learning languages and everything. Additionally, he was incredibly intelligent and respectful. After, we went to hang out at what he described as an ¨attic.¨ This place was the farthest from an attic that I have ever seen. It was the penthouse of an apartment building past Plaza Mayor (in that neighborhood, the houses are incredibly expensive). Needless to say, I was suprised. It also included a private terrace that overlooked the entire city of Valladolid. Overall, it went really well and I got a return invitation for this week.

While all this is happening my phone rings and Jesus gives me an invitation to come to his vacation home a half hour outside of Valladolid. I was of course, totally accepting of this invitation because he has introduced me to more people that I could have ever met on my own. So, we left Valla around 11:00pm and locked ourselves in the cute little cottage for the night. It was the craziest and most fun time ever. We played Kareoke and danced around and at 6:00am, we played Trivial Pursuit in Spanish! We finally turned in as the sun was rising around 8:00am. It was just nuts and I am so happy to have met all of these people. I must have done well on this occasion also because I got a return invitation to go out on Thursday and back to the house on Friday.

Saturday, was my day of rest because even at 10:30pm on Saturday, I was feeling the effects of the night before.

Sunday was a great day also. I got all of my homework done and prepared for my presentation that I did this morning. After all of the homework, I went to play soccer with some Americans and Jesus. It was really fun and I didn´t make a fool out of myself (miracle when it comes to sports). Afterward, we went out for coffee and Phase10. I love Sunday nights here because they are so low key and the weather is still nice so there are plenty of things to do.

As for this week, I am planning a makeshift Thanksgiving. The Americans and I are going to go out (probably for Telepizza) and celebrate together. Afterward, I am going to go out with Jesus and my Valla family for a while to take my mind off of the fact that my real family isn´t here with me. I am not sad about missing the holiday, I am sad about not being with my family for the first time in my life. This place is so fulfilling in every way and I know that I will have fun on Thursday, it´s just a feeling that I have that I cannot describe. I will miss you all on Thursday and Grandma, be sure to sit by the phone. : )

Love,
C

3 comments:

Sara Poos said...

I just realized that you had called! 3 1/2 hours after I got home from work! It only took 7 days for your package to get there. That's pretty amazing considering Kelly got her present 3 days after I sent it, and she's in Sheboygan. Anyway, I'm glad you liked your socks. I know your a socks person, and those felt so soft and comfy. I'll miss you at Thanksgiving and look forward to talking to you. We have another plan for the pictures this year since you & Mike will not be at Grandma & Grandpa's house. We're making copies of our family pictures that were done this summer and then adding snapshots all around them. That's Grandma's idea for her cards anyways. I'll just have to figure out how to get this done for her! :) Your weekend sounded fun and fulfilling. By the way, was your date cute? I just have to ask that. ;)

Sara Poos said...

I just read what I wrote and used the word "your" instead of "you're" That's a pet peave of mine, too! By the way, I visited the dermatologist, and my skin is clear. Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

O love, this sounds so fabulous! I like your 'meter of understanding' haha...now that you can go all Ricky Ricardo on someones butt ;)

Take care dear and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

-Mal