Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Salamanca!

This is the best statue imitation that I have ever done.  The statue itself is of Lazarillo del Tormes and el Ciego (literary characters from a novel written in 1554).
I decided to throw a little Muslim inspiration into the mix.
During the novel, the Ciego smashes Lazarillo's head against a stone.  We thought it deserved a re-enactment.  
This is me on an ancient Roman bridge that is almost 2,000 years old.  In the background is the Cathedral of Salamanca. 
My friends decided to make me the bag lady. 
This is me on the bridge again.
I was laughing so hard in this moment because Edu (the guy in the background with the apple) wouldn't stop acting like a weirdo.  
Fashion show.  
Lauren and Edu trying to attract the birds.
Me in front of the cathedral of San Esteban. 

What a good week!  Even though I was really sick with a chest cold, it didn't phase me.  I can be sick anytime but I am not going to be in Spain forever.  My host mom was freaking out because she thought that she would have to take me to the doctor.  She also told me that I was not allowed to go out on Friday night because of my health.  I was a little lonely while I was sick in my bed but it made me appreciate Saturday even more.  

As you can see, I spent my Saturday in the city of Salamanca.  It was a really beautiful city and had a ton of interesting things to see.  One of my favorite things was the University.  It was built in the thirteenth century and has all of the original buildings.  Students from that era that studied at the university all wrote their names on the walls of the buildings with red paint and most names are still visible today.  In addition, we saw the most amazing cathedral that took over 200 years to build and has works of art from three different eras.  If you get the opportunity to visit Salamanca, I highly recommend it.  

Saturday night, I went out with Jesus and a couple other friends.  We had a really great time and even got some cowboy hats from this bar just for being as cool as we are. : )  I got introduced to more of Jesus' cute friends and had a really good time with them.

On Sunday, we had a big futbol match and my team won.  It's mainly because Edu and Jesus carry our team but we all play just for the fun of it.  I think the best part was that I did NOT make a fool out of myself during the game (e.g. falling down in the mud, missing the ball, etc.). It was great and afterward,  I went out with Jesus, Jairo, Diana, Emilio and a couple other people.  I think I spoke about seven hours of straight Spanish on Sunday because I was with these guys the majority of the day.  As usual, it was an absolute blast!

It was nice to take a break and have some fun after my exams last week.  I received a 7,0 on my grammar exam and an 8,9 on my Spanish Literature exam.   That is equal to a C+ and an A- in U.S. standard grading.   I am still waiting on the results of my culture exam.  

As for this week's agenda, I have to teach tonight and Thursday and I have conversation with Fernando tonight and Thursday.  Wednesday, I am getting together with a couple of spanish people to do a conversation exchange.  Friday night, I have another Bolleton and then another weekend is here already.  

Time is going by way too fast.  
Hasta Luego,
C

No comments: