I would have to say that this past weekend was my best weekend in Valladolid so far. I stayed in the city this weekend and I was able to go out at night and relax during the daytime.
On Friday night, a some of my American friends and I went to our favorite Cafe el Sol and ordered two cachis of calamacho. A cachi is literally a bucket. We then learned to play this amazingly fun game called Jotas and stayed there until our bucket was finished. By the time the game was finished, the bartender informed us that we had ordered and consumed seven liters of wine. Luckily, we had a large group and seven litres was not as extreme as it sounds. After that whole bit, we went to another bar called SU for their Halloween fiesta. Our Spanish friend Dufi ordered us a few bottles of champaign and we were able to dance and have a good time. After SU, we went to this disco that had a pirate theme and finished our night laughing and having a great time. It was the best Halloween that I have had thus far because I was in good company and in Spain!
Saturday night was even better. I started the night with Blake and Lauren at Cafe el Sol and we ended up going to SU pretty quickly because my friends Jesus and Andres and their friends wanted to meet me there. So, I introduced Blake and Lauren to my mob of Spanish friends and all ten of us got along great.
After SU, we went to the Savannah Salsa club. I attempted to learn to Salsa from Jesus but got shut down by the natives. Go figure. The salsa club got really interesting when Lauren and I had to go to the bathroom. As usual, the line was a mile long and per my request, we snuck into the men's bathroom! There was one stall and toilet paper (this is significant because you will not find toilet paper in ANY public restrooms in the country of Spain). So, we both went to the bathroom and then a couple of guys came in!! We had to make and exit so we ducked our head and covered our faces and shouted "Lo Siento," all of the way out! The guys were so impressed that we were that slick. : )
After SU, we went to Atlas because Andres knew the bartender (when drinks are 4 euro a piece, it helps to know as many bartenders as possible). We danced the night away at Atlas and then went to the most popular and expensive disco in Valladolid. I thought we were going to have to pay a cover but we didn't have to because Jesus' friend Hairo works there on the weekends. The night ended with with me in a cab home at 6:30 am and unmeasurable happiness because a.) Who wouldn't want to pass the night with cute Spanish guys and b.) I had communicated completely in Spanish with people my age. It was a triumph for me.
Now, I know that this sounds like all I do is go to the bars. But I have to explain that culturally, the weekend is for going to the bar for two or three drinks and then staying up all night to talk and relax and dance. The bar here is not like the United States. It's a lot more fun and you meet a lot more people. I have learned so much from my Spanish friends about this weekend culture. They are explaining the slang to me and the way of life, even though they make fun of me for sleep walking on my way to my cab. : ) It's kind of funny too because Dori (my host mom) always chastises my roommate because my roommate doesn't like to go out and is more of a home-body. Dori always tells her that she doesn't learn anything by staying in the house. I couldn't agree with Dori more. I broke of my shell, went out and I met people. It doesn't get more rewarding than that.
Well, back to studying. I have a grammar final tomorrow and a lit final on friday.
Hasta Luego.
Love,
C
No comments:
Post a Comment