Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fogata? Que sí!

Hello Everyone,

With each passing day, I continue learning more and more. It's amazing to learn by doing rather than having people tell me exactly what to do. Hopefully I can offer the same method of learning to my students. So, what have I been doing besides perfecting my Spanish? Well after dinner, only the Americans remain on campus because all of the indigenous students leave to go to their villages for the night. It's pretty interesting having an entire empty campus in the middle of an allegedly haunted mountain top. Two nights ago, we had ourselves a little fiesta and it cost $10 USD for 8 people to drink. I have a feeling that I will never be able to have a party that economical again! As for last night, we made a bonfire and hung out together. It was so beautiful because there was not a cloud in the sky and all you could see for miles were the stars. One girl, in all seriousness, asked if they were the same stars that we see at home!! Needless to say, I always have interesting questions and comments from my fellow Americans :)

Today was pretty cold on the mountain, so we took a chicken bus to Panajachel, which is approximately 10 miles away. It is much more beautiful than Sololá and a ten-fold more clean. It was so relaxing to be with the nature, take some photos, and relax by Lake Atitlán. I guess on Tuesday we are going to go there again to take a boat ride around the entire lake. To have an accurate picture of the size of this lake, think of Lake Winnebago.

Sorry that I did not post any photos today - they will be posted soon! My next stop on the agenda is a flight to Tikal, Guatemala tomorrow morning. We are heading into the jungle to see the Mayan ruins.

Love,
C

1 comment:

Sara Poos said...

So are they the same stars? I'm just kidding! I know they aren't, and the sun is a totally different one too! ;)