Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I Picked Some Flowers and the Police Came...

After coming back from Tikal, we checked into our hotel in Santa Elena. We were so happy to be able to hit the pool, relax, and enjoy the hot weather in Petén. My roommate, Elle, was feeling very sick from the heat and spent much of the afternoon and evening in bed. I was very thankful that our room had air conditioning because once you are dehydrated in this climate, it’s hard to get re-hydrated. I felt bad that she wasn’t able to join us at this awesome restaurant on the lake that night.

I must say that Santa Elena was kind of a learning experience for me. First of all, I learned a lesson about creeps – if they look creepy, they’re probably creepy. I was sunbathing out on the patio of the hotel, just enjoying the sun while my other friends were out on the peer. This random guy came off the street and sat equidistant from me and my other friends on the peer. For five minutes he would watch them, then he’d turn around for five minutes and watch me. When I got up to take a dip in the pool, he lifted up his shirt, rubbed his belly like Buddha, and mumbled some things to himself in Spanish. Apparently this is legal and widely accepted?

The second thing I learned was about flowers. Apparently Guatemalans like to protect their plant life, so I strongly advise against picking any flowers (even if they’re for your fabulous hairstyle). The police will come, give you a dirty look and may even speak a few things. Mind you, all of Guatemalan police have giant, loaded rifles. I thought that was a little excessive for just a little flower...

All in all, it was an awesome and relaxing time in Petén and Tikal. I guess I left the area just in time because big Guatemalan army tanks were rolling in just as we were heading out!


This was the tree that I picked flowers from.
This was such a beautiful lake!
Delicious American food!

Love,
C

No comments: