Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Panic at Asunción

There are not many places in the world where I feel legitimately unsafe. Guatemala City was definitely the exception. I hadn’t been feeling well since Friday and when I got to the city on Monday, I had reached my limit. Do you know the feeling where a place has lost its luster and you are starting to see it for what it really is? That’s exactly what happened to me on that day.Everything looked dirty from the street, to the air, to the obnoxious amount of people on the street corners. I started to get feverish, and clammy with cold sweat dripping on my face.Before I knew it, I had walked out of the museum and was lying with my head on a table outside, just plain sick. There were many things that I started to realize about Guatemala that I hadn’t before - like why the life expectancy is so low, how much it would suck to be disabled/elderly/mentally ill here, and how millions of people go ignored each day. People say that if you've traveled enough, culture shock becomes less of an issue. I don't think that's true on my part.

On a lighter note, I saw the very beautiful San Sebastian Catholic Church!

Me and my roommate Elle at the post office.
The beautiful door of San Sebastian.
I just like this picture.

Love,
C


No comments: