Monday, June 24, 2013

Arenal Continued and Monteverde


Hello again!  I have some down time to write, so I thought I would do another entry.  We’ve done a lot of things since the last time that I wrote.  I love that this trip is filled with activities that are fun and challenging.  My students and I are not used to the landscape and elevation, so it’s really neat to see them have a good attitude and conquer challenges here. 

On Saturday, we went to the Reserva de los Indigenas Malecos (Malekus Indian Reserve).  In Costa Rica, Indians make up about 2% of the population, which is quite different than the rest of Central America.  This particular group consists of only 650 pure blood Malecos and they live in three different tribes.  They still try to follow the ways of their ancestors through their lifestyle and religious ceremonies.  I was joking with Mario that I would like to join their religion because they offer chocolate (my favorite food) to their gods! While we were there, they presented information about their customs, religious ceremonies, music and dress to use.  They even let us try their bows and arrows!

After the reserve, we visited an organic farm and local school.  On the farm, we learned about the different uses for sugar cane and how it is manually processed.  We also saw all of the gardens and medicinal plants that are used here.  It’s really interesting to see how sustainability and protecting the environment is integrated into the culture here.  A lot of the fruit is very different because they don’t use pesticides.  For example, an orange is actually green and when it ripens, it is yellow.  Bananas also have brown spots on them because they are not sprayed.  I really learned a lot on the farm and had the most amazing organic lunch.  We had rice, beans, chicken, yuca chips, blanched yuca, papaya picado and the most amazing star fruit!

The students also came on Saturday to do a special presentation for us about the traditional dances of Costa Rica. They were so cute and so enthusiastic.  Our students loved seeing them and interacting with them.  At the end of the presentation, we presented them with ten industrial-sized Lasko fans for the classrooms, as well as some paint for maintaining the school.  They were so grateful because it’s so warm and humid in that part of Costa Rica. 

Sunday was a change of pace.  In the morning, we got up bright and early to go on a volcano hike.  The hike was around three hours and was a series of steep trails made of volcanic rock from Arenal Volcano.  Before 1968, this volcano was dormant.  People actually used to camp at the top and swim in the lake that formed up there.  But for some reason, in that year the plates began to shift and a huge eruption occurred.  The volcano threw boulders that were 10 feet and more in diameter to the valleys below.  Those boulders are still there, with miles and miles of lava rocks.  Rain forest also re-grew in this area, so it is an extremely wet, rainy and slippery hike.  It rained the entire time that we were there.  The hike was a little scary too because we had a fall, a sprained ankle, and my co-leader and one student got lost!  They were missing for over an hour and our guides had to go back into the trails and the forest to find them.  I was so thankful that they were not hurt because there’s no way to get someone out of there unless you carry them! 

Today was amazing!  It was our first day in the beautiful Santa Elena and Monteverde.  My students and I had the opportunity to go on nine zip lines that stretched for miles.  I wasn’t able to participate because of my surgery.  But, that was more than okay because the most amazing thing happened to me today!  I have been waiting for years to see a Quetzal bird.  It is an extremely rare bird that lives in high altitudes and is close to extinction.  The reason that I like it is because it is very beautiful, it is used in many Mayan legends and it is the national bird of Guatemala.  Today, I got to see a male Quetzal, a female and their nest.  I cannot describe how it felt to see this bird.  I had been waiting so long and was going to give up on seeing it and then it just appeared!  It’s definitely a sign!

Cool stuff so far:
*I experienced a 5.2 earthquake
*I went to the highest point in the Costa Rican Continental Divide (1,770 meters)
*Saw a Quetzal

Tomorrow we head to the beach on the Pacific side.  I look forward to seeing the sun since all we’ve had was rain!  Miss you all.

Love,
C

No comments: