I taught on Tuesday and Thursday and I am loving it more and more each time that I do it. Enrique (the 12 year-old student) did something so funny during reading practice. We were reading the Adventures of Tom Sawyer and he came across the word "Huck Finn." He's a pretty quick reader to begin with and he approached the word and ended up switching the "F" in Finn with the "H" in Huck. You can imagine my surprise when this came out of a twelve year-old. I was laughing and he buried his head in his book out of embarrassment. It was adorable. : )
I went out on Friday and Saturday night with some Americans. We went to the usual Cafe Sol and then Sotabanco. All of my Spanish friends rip on me for going to Sotabanco because it is what all of the foreigners do. One asked me last night why I would want to go to a place where the drinks are overpriced and you cant move? To that, I had no answer.
Last night, I went to Cafe L.A. with my friend Jesus and I was able to meet all of his fun and really nice friends. It was crazy because there were ten guys and a couple girls and all of them were native except me. I was trying so hard to keep up with the group conversation and all of the jokes that the guys passed to each other. It was totally embarrassing because Jesus had to stop and explain what felt like, everything. It couldn't have been too bad because I got a return invitation to go out this weekend.
I forget that when Filippo made speaking mistakes, we helped him instead of laughed at him. I have to remember that these people are probably the same and would rather help me than laugh. It's just a little difficult to remember that sometimes because I want to speak perfect right away.
I have been here for a month tomorrow night and I think that in one month, I have learned so much about life and language and the culture here. This place has allowed me to re-evaluate my priorities and decide important decisions. It has absolutely re-affirmed that I am choosing the right career. Possibly the thing that I love the most about this place it that I have been able to form meaningful relationships with people and learned how to better communicate in my own language and in Spanish. That certainly means the most to me.
Hasta Luego.
Love,
C
1 comment:
Catherine..my email is driving me crazy. I wrote you a letter today and lost it in outer space just like I did last week. Sara will have to help me find them. Until then I want you know I have been writing you. Heard about Stritch. Living at home again can be done. Your mom came home and Sara never left so I know from experience. Keep writing..I will too.
Post a Comment