Monday, October 20, 2008

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plane

Yes, I got to witness this tragedy in person. : )
The crowd at the campus party on Friday night (and this was only in one direction).
Me and Lauren in Burgos on a beautiful fall day.
The view of Burgos from the mountain top.
This is me on a little path that ran along the river in Burgos.  Notice all of the leaves?
I wasn't exactly ready for this picture but it turned out okay.
Only part of the Eau Claire group at the campus party.  From left: Edu, me, Caroline, Erin, Kate, Loni and Lauren.


Well, this week was quite an interesting week.   It was in the eighties and sunny for the early part of the week and then we had two days of rainstorms.  It flooded in Madrid and Valencia and many other places got snow.  After the rain storms, the temperatures dropped to about 10-12 degrees centigrade.  I am now wearing sweaters, jeans and leather boots instead of my normal summer wear.  

This past weekend was really fun.  Friday night, was the all Letters and Philosophy party outside of the academic buildings. We had so much fun and saw some pretty amazing things.  That hairstyle picture above is a Spain original.  It has it's own name of the "Faux Drullet."  It's a combination of a faux hawk, mullet and dreads.  What a treat it was to see that in person.  

On Saturday, we went to a city in northern Spain called Burgos.  It is a city with great historical significance because it is the birth place of Spain's national hero: Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar.  There is an amazing cathedral there and a spectacular castle on top of a mountain.  I had a nostalgic feeling when I went to Burgos because all of the leaves were falling and it looked identical to a Wisconsin autumn.  That feeling soon cleared because we went on to see some very amazing things that Wisconsin could only dream of having. 8 )

On Tuesday, I went to teach at 4:00 and after I met with Fernando for the first time.  He is a young guy who works internationally in business.  He wanted to improve his English so we agreed to meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays after I get done teaching.  Every week, he does two nights of theory at the school and two nights of conversation with me.  It works out really well because I am able to practice my Spanish.  Additionally, the conversations aren't the least bit awkward.

I don't have any concrete plans for this weekend, but that is fine with me.  I am happy just being here in my element and meeting all of these cute Spaniards.  ; )
Nos Vemos.
Love,
C

P.S. - feel free to comment on anything.  I often wonder if people are reading this. : )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course we are reading every word of it and checking everyday for new updates. You are leading a very interesting life right now that people like me can't imagine back here in Wisconsin. Keep up the news flashes as we love them.

Sara Poos said...

Cath! I miss you so much that I check this more than once a day. Even the people who read the Poos blog, read yours because your blog is listed on the side of mine. :) The girls got your postcard on Tuesday. I read it to Kelly, and she said you sound like a teacher. That's a good thing, you know! :) Oh, yeah, and thanks for the comment on Elise's toothless blog. Doesn't she look hilarious?

Anonymous said...

Estoy leyendo tu blag cada dia! Todo es muy interesante y me gustan mucho las fotos. Sra

Anonymous said...

I'm reading all about you dearie!!

I miss you!! and I get increasingly more jealous of your culture experience!! someday we have to go to europe together!!

I love you hun! take care!!

-Mal

Sara Poos said...

Hey, is your boob leaking in the group picture? :) You know your favorite aunt has to make some kind of comment like that! :) Plus, only I would be looking at that, right?